Re: [Nautilus-list] Medusa?

On Thu, 2001-09-13 at 21:21, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> What ever happened to Medusa? Was it ever a part of Nautilus or was it
> always a separate project? Is work still ongoing with it, or has it been
> abandoned?
>
> It's just that I can't help feeling that as much as I love Nautilus,
> which I do, it's a little bit lacking in file management capabilities. A
> lot of the (very exciting and interesting) plans I've read about on this
> list involve its other capabilites, for instance adding further views,
> improving its help browsing capabilities, embedding the control panel
> into it, etc.
>
> But it seems that to be a truly useful file manager it needs to at least
> have some kind of file searching capabilities, even if those are
> provided by a separate component embedded within Nautilus.
>
> Another feature that I have mentioned before on this list is selecting
> files according to a pattern: preferably both by wildcards and regexps.
> At the moment there is only a "Select All Files" command on the Edit
> Menu.
>
> Something that I would find incredibly useful is the ability to rename
> files according to regexps like you can in Emacs' dired mode. I know
> that people in the past have said that could be handled by a Nautilus
> script, but it seems to me to be the kind of functionality a file
> manager ought to include natively.
>
> I'm not a C programmer, but I would be happy to help in any way I could
> if someone was interested in implementing such features.

	Another feature I think would be really useful, and would tie in nicely
with Medusa, is Vfolders for files. You could have a Vfolder to show all
mpeg files in a group of subdirectories, or show all files that have not
been updated in the last 6 months, etc. I don't know if anyone is
working on anything like this but I suspect it would be something for
the future.

	Paul

--
Paul A Coates, Computing Service      Web: http://xander.ncl.ac.uk/
Newcastle University, Claremont Road,  Email: Paul Coates ncl ac uk