Re: [Nautilus-list] Bookmarks in sidebar tab

On Sunday 16 September 2001 08:13, George Karabin wrote :

> P.S., on a related note, it would be interesting if you could manipulate
> bookmarks using a virtual folder concept, like in Evolution. I have
> plenty of bookmarks that I would really like to pre-sort into muliple
> folders, because they each apply to multiple categories.
>
> As a bonus, you could share the folders between browsers if you'd
> decided that sharing bookmarks between applications was a good idea.

Actually that's an idea we're playing with for the development version
of gnobog. Xbel wasn't sufficient in our opinion to suit our needs,
so we've started with some ideas for our own xml format (keeping in
mind that it should be easy to convert to/from xbel nonetheless). This
way we can try our own ideas, even if we may find we're wrong :-)

So we separate the actual data (the bookmarks) from the structure(s)
used to display them. Thus ALL bookmarks displayed/manipulated will
be aliases to the actual data, and you can have different views on the
same data.

We've written a test implementation with a plugin architecture to be
able to read/write several bookmarks format, to/from our xml format.
The plugins can be external scripts/progs, xsl stylesheets or shared libs.

The current goal is to provide a library and/or a gnome-vfs module
(I'm currently testing this idea) to handle bookmarks from any
format/source (even remote). We can then imagine a corba or bonobo layer over
it, if I'm not completely misleaded :-)

This lib would allow different kinds of frontends, even in the kde part of
the world ;-)

For those interested there's some working test code in the gnobog-test
cvs module on sourceforge. Hope this could be of any help !

Regards,
Renaud