Re: Let's remove the Nautilus News sidepanel

On 28 Apr 2002, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:

> On Sun, 2002-04-28 at 11:41, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>
>     If we had an Outline view I don't know if it would still make sense ot
>     have the Tree view. I guess it would still be useful as a side view to
>     navigate while looking at things in the main view.
>
> It is useful for people who got used to windows, since one usually uses
> the sidebar tree as a drag target when moving files. On Nautilus I
> usually open new windows to do it. But I guess some people want that
> too, although the tree usually gets awfully tall and thus needs a lot of
> scrolling.

I think the tree may make more sense if it had multiple roots. The real
root, you homedir, the desktop, and maybe shares.

>     I also wish the Tree view had a better name. Tree is such a nerdy term
>     that focuses more on the implenentation that the actual UI and purpose
>     of the feature. Can anyone thing of a better name? The best I can come
>     up with is "System Outline" which is way too wordy.
>
> On windows it is "Folders" which makes sense and sounds like a good
> name.

Seems like a random new name for "Directories", which I'm not sure makes a
lot of sense.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a time-tossed playboy sorceror whom everyone believes is mad. She's a
ditzy cat-loving pearl diver who believes she is the reincarnation of an
ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!