Re: File renaming

Daniel Borgmann <daniel liebesgedichte net> said:
> > Don't know why you think such a preference wouldn't be crack -- to me it
> > seems like a schoolbook example of a crack preference. The kind of crack
> > preference that solely exists because the developers couldn't decide on
> > the best behavior, not because there is an actual need for the preference.
>
> In a perfect world we wouldn't even have the single/double click
> preference and then we could probably just choose a sane default
> behaviour. But sadly I doubt this will ever happen, so a user's needs
> can differ quite a lot. For example a doubleclick user might prefer to

Well I have to disagree with you here a bit. I think this is an example where
there is truly an issue of user preference (same with window focus mode).
Single click mode is faster, but is less forgiving to accidental clicks, this
is why i suspect that double click is the default, yet a preference is
warranted.

> simply select the file, then press F2, while a singleclick user doesn't
> have this option. Also some people might have open in new window as

a single click user simply context clicks on any item they wish to do work
on, instead of left clicking to select an item and then doing an action, like
context clicking.

> default anyway, so this functionality would be useless to them while
> other people might like it a lot.
> (And yes, I would prefer not even to have singleclick/doubleclick an
> option as I could live with both and would just prefer some wellworking
> standard *sigh*)

see above

dave