Re: File renaming

On Sun, 2002-08-18 at 14:27, bordoley msu edu wrote:
> Daniel Borgmann <daniel liebesgedichte net> said:
> > > Don't know why you think such a preference wouldn't be crack -- to me it
> > > seems like a schoolbook example of a crack preference. The kind of crack
> > > preference that solely exists because the developers couldn't decide on
> > > the best behavior, not because there is an actual need for the preference.
> >
> > In a perfect world we wouldn't even have the single/double click
> > preference and then we could probably just choose a sane default
> > behaviour. But sadly I doubt this will ever happen, so a user's needs
> > can differ quite a lot. For example a doubleclick user might prefer to
>
> Well I have to disagree with you here a bit. I think this is an example where
> there is truly an issue of user preference (same with window focus mode).
> Single click mode is faster, but is less forgiving to accidental clicks, this
> is why i suspect that double click is the default, yet a preference is
> warranted.

If what you mean is there are advantages to both... yes there are. But
that's the whole point about preferences that are there because the
developer didn't want to decide. They are preferences that exist because
there were advantages to both and nobody was willing to come down and
choose which advantages were most important.

-Seth