Re: Nautilus Script Download Statistics

If i recall correctly, i think winxp has some real nice archive handling now
in explorer (also has integrated cd burning). Hopefully we can see both of
these integrated more closely into nautilus, via vfs hopefully.

dave

Alex Duggan <aldug astrolinux com> said:

> [...]
> > >
> > > I'll make a few comments about them, which you should feel free to skip
> > > if you don't want to listen to a windbag. Clearly, many of the most
> > > popular scripts deal with archiving/compression. I don't think anyone
> > > needs to be told that it would be a boon if nautilus/gnomevfs could
> > > handle compressed files more transparently.  Also, the 'terminal-here'
> > > is a big seller, which is not surprising and has been partially
> > > incorporated into Nautilus2 (but only on the desktop, which makes it no
> > > different from a launcher on your panel).
> > >
> > > A number of scripts appear to be popular because nautilus/gnome does not
> > > provide a good way to access their functionality from the 'Open' menu.
> > > For instance the 'gedit' script just opens up the selected files in
> > > gedit. It is easy to open text files in gedit by double-clicking, but
> > > when you want to open an arbitrary config file or a .desktop file, or
> > > multiple files simultaneously, it can be tricky. An easy workaround is
> > > to use a script (otherwise, you have to open gedit from a menu, then
> > > drag the files into the app window or navigate with the file dialog).
> > > Plus, some of these types of scripts offer benefits over the standard
> > > 'Open' menu, because they work with multiple files, or they may send
> > > files to a running process (e.g., Queue to XMMS), or can be used on a
> > > directory (e.g., XMMS), or they may allow the program to be invoked with
> > > special arguments.   One incredibly useful example is the 'run' script,
> > > which allows you to type in the name of any arbitrary command-line into
> > > a dialog box, and then executes that line on all selected files. Some of
> > > these application-opening scripts appear to be popular simply because
> > > people can't figure out a way to associate the right file-types with the
> > > appropriate application (e.g., the xine script). In my opinion, the
> > > popularity of the scripts in this paragraph may point out some of the
> > > weaknesses in the current the UI of the "Open" and the filetype
> > > association database application. I don't have any good suggestions
> > > about how this can be improved, but it might be nice to make it simple
> > > to add a script from the scripts directory to the 'Open' menu.
> > >
> > > There are a number of scripts I would call 'command-line automation'
> > > scripts--people have automated often-repeated but complicated
> > > command-line processes by making a script out of it. Things like
> > > create-vcd, scp_to_host, and numerous picture/document conversion
> > > scripts are examples. People have even experimented with things like
> > > all-in-one LaTeX and make/build scripts. Although some of these are
> > > general purpose enough to be useful across the file system, many of
> > > their functionalities could be performed by making a launcher in the
> > > appropriate directory that runs the script, so that it is only in the
> > > place that you need it.  Needless to say, this is not at all obvious,
> > > and is difficult to perform unless you have the 'make-launcher' script
20Configuration/make_launcher ).  It has been addressed on the desktop (the
context menu include a 'New launcher' option), but not for arbitrary
directories.