Re: [Nautilus-list] Possible side project to promote Nautilus devel.

I think that you have a good idea.  But probably *the* biggest thing
that would help to promote developing nautilus sidebars and viewers
would be tutorials.  It would be great if you or someone else could
write an in-depth tutorial on how to make simple sidebars or viewers.
Then people would have an easy starting point for rolling their own.

As a side note, what might be a sort of cool idea is if all of the
not-absolutely-necessary components of nautilus are packaged
independantly.  That might help promote the idea that nautilus is really
just a framework for a bunch of cool components, and encourage people to
make their own.  It might also help fight the perception from some that
nautilus is somehow bloated.  This might be more work for packagers and
maintainers though, so it should probably be up to them. ;-)

	--Ryan

On Sat, 2002-02-09 at 16:24, Andrew Burr wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have been currently trying to get away from the command line, like
> many others, and using Nautilus for all my file browsing, launching of
> applications, etc.
>
> One thing I am frustrated by is that Nautilus just doesn't have enough
> viewer/player/convenience components. Has anyone thought of starting a
> sub initiative to promote the development of components for nautilus?
>
> I was thinking that a list of wanted components could be made,
> prioritized, and published on the Nautilus/GNOME website. Then to
> promote the the sub initiative various development contests could be
> held for prizes. I know I am willing to drop a few
> dollars/pounds/yen/etc to motivate developers to build components that
> would make my life easier :)
>
> What does everyone think?
>
> I am willing to take the lead on promoting, getting prizes, getting a
> good component tutorial together (with the help of others, because I am
> a novice by far at developing components), developing, etc.
>
> If this sounds like a good idea, I thought I'd start with an initial
> component list.
>
> Please add/modify/delete from this list of components.
>
> + CVS viewer
>   If you enter a directory with a valid CVS directory in it, this
>   component would be available for use. Basically, it would add cvs
>   options to menus and tool bars. Such as "Add to repository...",
>   "Commit..", "Delete for repository...", etc.  Also, possibly add easy
>   viewing of cvs logs/status too for individual files and the whole
>   directory. I guess skies the limit.

This would be infinitely cool.

> + TAR  viewer
>   I think this one existed in gmc. It should be able to uncompress from
>   gz and bz2.

Maybe someone can convince the guy writing fileroller
(fileroller.sourceforge.net) to make a component based on it.  He
already did gThumb with some bonobo image viewing, and it works really
nicely, so he may already be familiar with what's needed.

> + ZIP viewer
>   Self explanatory.

This could probably be a part of the above component, and just call it a
"package viewer."

> + MP3/OGG/CD/etc player
>   Just an improvement on the current music viewer to support more
>   formats.

I think someone from Redhat did some work on getting Oggs to work, at
least.

> + RPM viewer
>   I think this one already exists?

It would be cool if Ximian would just extend Red Carpet to do
this...then we'd get automatic dependency handling and all of that for
free.

> + Makefile convenience component
>   See all the make targets in a menu/tool bar. Click on one and it
>   "makes" that target
>
> * Galeon component
>   I know some people have been taking about this. I think it would be
>   very beneficial.

Galeon 1.1.x series has a nautilus component....so this will get done.
;-)