Re: [Nautilus-list] Mounting preferences - the death of options.

Hi Havoc,

On Sat, 2002-01-05 at 15:26, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Don't blame it on Darin.

	I personally would blame it on you :-)

> It's the strong opinion of most of "core gnome hackers"

	Who said that ? did you do a straw poll on this; or ... perhaps I was
asleep somewhere.

	Or is the Metacity philosophy becoming rampant :-)

	Yes - the defaults should work, and work well - but I don't believe we
can get far with:

> They have to be replaced by the _right defaults_ and _smart behavior_
> though, not just removed.

	And they remain a good solution to encouraging our user base; I've had
people walk up to me at trade shows and say "I don't use Gnome because
..." and I've shown them the option, and they go away happy.

	Shall we determine where this crusade to reduce user choice is going
before going too much further ? I was totally unaware of the plan  to
remove the user level until it seemed to be a done deal - I was under
the impression that this was something that we would be using more
ubiquitously, rather than axing altogether - what is going on ?

	Regards,

		Michael.