Re: [Nautilus-list] Constructive Criticism Revisted

> I'm all for getting rid of web-search. Home should stay where it is
> though. The reason is that home is not just one of many "places". It is
> probably THE most important, and it needs some special attention.

I would argue that it's inconsistent to spread "locations or places" all
over.

> > Right Toolbar (Places): Add icons/links to the places people think
>
> The problem with this approach, is that it takes up too much space. The
> current Nautilus-toolbar is too wide, and this makes it even more so.
>
> The right approach IMHO is to put the "places" in a sidebar, because they
> would then be vertical, and obviously scrollable if the window is too
> small. In addition, it could be made to look like folders or normal items,
> instead of buttons, thus making sure that people more easily identify that
> they can drag and drop things to them.

What I've presented is very specific but it's not intended to be. It's a
general idea. For example, the icons don't have to be so big. You also
argue that it makes it too wide and that it should be vertical. Well I
would argue that I like a wide nautilus window and a short (vertically)
nautilus window. The "Places" icons could be both on the horizontal and
right vertical. It could switch it's place depending on the dimensions
of the set window.

> > Right menubar (action):	> have potential. A user could use the search "action" button to drag to
> > the floppy, cdrom, home, or whatever.
>
> I don't think there is ANY other Gnome-app that does this. Introducing
> something totally new needs to be done in such a way that people get it.
> If it is used in Nautilus, then others should probably use it. Besides, I
> don't think nautilus is the right place for the print-button. I think it
> should be in the panel (and default if you have installed printers).
>
> The search-button could be put on the toolbar as a regular toolbar-button.

If we were to limit everything to what has already been done, we would
never progress.

> Last, I think the toolbars take up too much real-estate. The problem is
> that for sufficient navigation-tools, you need both the "button-bar" and
> the location-bar, which can take up as much as half the window.

Once again, the icons could be smaller and arranged in a fashion that
uses space effectively. How can you it takes up too much space and it's
in the way? A file browser is for navigating through your disks. In that
sense, the path to your hd, floppy, cdrom, etc.. is the most valuable
piece of real estate that there is.