Re: [Nautilus-list] Constructive Criticism Revisted

> Since some of you demanded specific examples, I used gimp to create a
> Nautilus UI that fits what I was thinking in terms of navigation.
> If you pay attention to the toolbars, you'll notice several differences.
>
> Left Toolbar: 		Get rid of "Home" and get rid of "Web Search"

I'm all for getting rid of web-search. Home should stay where it is
though. The reason is that home is not just one of many "places". It is
probably THE most important, and it needs some special attention.

> Right Toolbar (Places): Add icons/links to the places people think

The problem with this approach, is that it takes up too much space. The
current Nautilus-toolbar is too wide, and this makes it even more so.

The right approach IMHO is to put the "places" in a sidebar, because they
would then be vertical, and obviously scrollable if the window is too
small. In addition, it could be made to look like folders or normal items,
instead of buttons, thus making sure that people more easily identify that
they can drag and drop things to them.

> Right menubar (action):	> have potential. A user could use the search "action" button to drag to
> the floppy, cdrom, home, or whatever.

I don't think there is ANY other Gnome-app that does this. Introducing
something totally new needs to be done in such a way that people get it.
If it is used in Nautilus, then others should probably use it. Besides, I
don't think nautilus is the right place for the print-button. I think it
should be in the panel (and default if you have installed printers).

The search-button could be put on the toolbar as a regular toolbar-button.

Last, I think the toolbars take up too much real-estate. The problem is
that for sufficient navigation-tools, you need both the "button-bar" and
the location-bar, which can take up as much as half the window.

I don't think your solution helps this, it rather makes it worse.

Gaute