Re: [Nautilus-List] Constructive Criticism Revisited

On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 06:22, John Mellor wrote:

> 	I hope I am not being silly and missing something obvious. It does seem
> to me, however, after a few months of struggling with Linux, that a very
> simple, undemanding interface that can be quickly toggled to one giving
> more control over the system would be very appealing to the beginner.

I'm with you on this one. I think most of the time most users doing
actual work are going to be in their home directories or downward,
not off on one of the other major filesystem branches. (After all,
with red-carpet there's no need to mess around in /usr and with
the setup tools and the control center there's no need to mess
around in /etc, right? :>)

Personally, I think we should be trying to nudge users into
transitioning to a more UNIX-like paradigm -- in this one area,
that is. :) "Your stuff is in your home directory, and you shouldn't
need to worry about what's outside it." By default, anyway.