[Nautilus-list] Solaris device mounting (was: Constructive Criticism Revisted)

David Moles wrote:

> Why's that -- the OS doesn't provide the right hooks when stuff gets
> mounted, or it doesn't get automounted at all, or what?

Well, I'm no expert on Solaris internals, but mounting/unmounting of
removable media on Solaris is handled by a volume management daemon
(vold)... trying to mount/umount a CD-ROM for example just gives you a
"permission denied" error.

Somebody (Seth?) tried to replicate the linux functionality for Nautilus
on Solaris once, but I dunno what happened to it, if it worked.  I'm
sure we (Sun) will be looking at the issue again as our first supported
release approaches, though.

Cheeri,
Calum.