Re: [GNOME VFS] Re: 5 second timeout thing ...

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On 29 Jun 2002, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > directory) is the geometry saving code, which happens at idle ( after a
> > configure-request ) [ IMHO it should happen at window close only ].
> > Saving the geometry fires a metadata changed signal that causes
> > everything to re-render ;-)
>
> This was a recent change, read the mailing list for details.

The main reason for not saving the geometry at window close time was
discussed offline between me and Frank.  Essentially we wanted to keep
the geometry save event related to the geometry change event for usability
purposes.

For example, imagine that the user resizes a window and then navigates to
another location.  If the geometry is only saved on window close, then the
geometry will be saved for a location which the user never resized.  This
isn't very intuitive because the change state and save state events are
unrelated...