Re: geometry updates ...

On 1 Jul 2002, Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> On Sat, 2002-06-29 at 04:35, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > 	One amusing thing causing re-renders (and re-sorting the entire
> > directory) is the geometry saving code, which happens at idle ( after a
> > configure-request ) [ IMHO it should happen at window close only ].
> > Saving the geometry fires a metadata changed signal that causes
> > everything to re-render ;-)
> >
> > 	So, if you drag a nautilus window around (fullscreen) you can see it
> > constantly re-rendering. If you switch virtual desktop, you can also see
> > the performance impact, since it gets 2 configure requests - one moving
> > the window off the screen, and one back on ...
>
> 	So, unless someone comes up with a really good excuse for consantly
> saving the geometry, I'm going to delay it until window close, so scream
> soon if you disagree.

The reason for this was given by David Watson. The real question is why
saving the metadata keeps relayouting the views. That sounds like the
actual bug to me.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an obese flyboy stage actor who knows the secret of the alien invasion.
She's a radical cat-loving widow in the witness protection program. They fight
crime!