Re: nautilus2 background flash

On 6 Jun 2002, Damon Chaplin wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-06-06 at 09:28, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > On 4 Jun 2002, Dave Bordoley wrote:
> >
> > > If i recall correctly the "fix" was removed since it was causing some
> > > crashes and not working very well. Not completely sure though.
> >
> > Yeah, hack stopped working for some reason, and it was crashing on
> > xservers that had different visuals for the root window and the gtk+
> > default visual.
> >
> > I did some work that minimizes the time the background is gray, but it
> > still flashes a bit.
>
> I'm afraid my fix for 74311 may have made it a bit worse, since it now
> realizes the desktop window immediately. And this also results in it
> of the size.

I don't see why realizing it should make it worse? You're not showing the
window.

> It might be an idea to use special code for the desktop background,
> rather than EelBackground. Maybe even use the libbackground applier
> code, since that is what gnome-settings-daemon uses to set the
> background when nautilus isn't running.

Ugh. That sounds conceptually ugly, and requires a fair amount of code to
not regress on EelBackground features.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a suicidal day-dreaming ex-con in drag. She's a green-fingered
tempestuous traffic cop with the soul of a mighty warrior. They fight crime!