Drag latency

I've had the following problem for some time and continue to have it
with the Nautilus 1.1 series.

First, I'm on a 366Mhz PII with 128MB, so many of you may not notice
this.

When I drag an icon, it often takes >5 seconds before the icon catches
up with the mouse. Then, once Nautilus realizes what it should be doing,
the icon franticly follows the path the mouse already did, rather than
just jumping to the location of the mouse.

1) It may be that that this effect cannot be avoided due to the floating
icon being a separate window from the mouse.

2) This probably has to do with parts of Nautilus being paged to disk so
nautilus takes a few seconds to become responsive.

Once Nautilus has caught up, then it's just fine.

Is this delay something that could be avoided, or not really?

--Ben