Re: Thumbnail slow down again ?

On Tue, 2002-06-11 at 10:53, Glen Gray wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I remember a couple of months back there was a change to the thumbnail
> generation code to speed it up. IIRC it used to wait for 1 second
> between generating each thumbnail. This was fixed but now seems to have
> returned. I had recently reinstalled my laptop and decided to try out
> garnome 0.10.1. Upon entering my ~/backgrounds dir it took ages to
> generate the thumbnails and seemed to be doing it 1 at a time every
> second.
>
> Is it intentional that this "feature" is back as the fix borked
> something ? Or is it a case that this has slipped back in due to an
> oversight.

I recently rewrote the thumbnailing code to use a thread instead of
doing a fork(). It shouldn't wait between thumbnails at all.
For me it does 100 ~30K jpegs in about 5 secs (on an 850MHz).

It will be quite a bit slower if gdk-pixbuf or librsvg can't handle the
image and it has to run 'convert'. Is it doing that for you?

Damon