Re: Thumbnail slow down again ?

On Tue, 2002-06-11 at 19:36, Damon Chaplin wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-06-11 at 10:53, Glen Gray wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I remember a couple of months back there was a change to the thumbnail
> > generation code to speed it up. IIRC it used to wait for 1 second
> > between generating each thumbnail. This was fixed but now seems to have
> > returned. I had recently reinstalled my laptop and decided to try out
> > garnome 0.10.1. Upon entering my ~/backgrounds dir it took ages to
> > generate the thumbnails and seemed to be doing it 1 at a time every
> > second.
> >
> > Is it intentional that this "feature" is back as the fix borked
> > something ? Or is it a case that this has slipped back in due to an
> > oversight.
>
> I recently rewrote the thumbnailing code to use a thread instead of
> doing a fork(). It shouldn't wait between thumbnails at all.
> For me it does 100 ~30K jpegs in about 5 secs (on an 850MHz).

Hmm, well my dir was no where near that full and it took about 1 sec per
image on a 650Mhz Vaio laptop (256Mb RAM).

> It will be quite a bit slower if gdk-pixbuf or librsvg can't handle the
> image and it has to run 'convert'. Is it doing that for you?

Well they are mostly either jpeg or png. And it was a standard install
of garnome-0.10.1. ldd doesn't report any links to libjpeg or anything
like that and I've cleaned compile dir for lack of space. Is there any
way to tell if convert is being called.

--
Glen Gray             Software Engineer