Re: toolbar

On Wed, 2002-06-19 at 04:50, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
> This is not a thing Nautilus should worry about, but rather a matter of
> Gtk/Gnome toolbars in general. So (even though I am not a
> programmer-kind of a developer) it seems wrong to "fix" it here.
>
> But in general, the hardcoded min_width that used to be there was very
> annoying for "toolbars without labels" use, since the padding was simply
> huge, and it made it impossible to have small tidy toolbars with just
> icons - which works a lot better currently. So it was not just removed
> for priority text stuff.
>
> Having a hardcoded spacing makes the toolbars unneccessarily wide which
> is a unfortunate thing. Having the buttons get their sizes individually
> from the label (or from the icon, whichever is wider) uses the toolbar
> space more effeciently, though I do understand your point in the search
> for evenly spaced beauty :-) But honestly, I dont think it is that bad.
> It makes it better in practice when your buttons fit on the toolbars
> without resizing the windows.

Agree with tigert on this. With the hardcoded spacing toolbars with only
icons looked really bad.

I think this is probably a bonobo issue though, (thats what anders
seemed to indicate in a bug about this a while ago) since purely gtk
toolbar icons seem to look correct.

> I guess the right click on the "Back" button could open the dropdown? Is
> this possible to do in gtk?

well right clicking on the arrow brings down the menu. It would be
possible to put back in the old right clicks on the arrows pretty easily
i'd assume too...is it worth it?? (legitimately curious).

dave