Re: nautilus-list digest, Vol 1 #106 - 14 msgs

nautilus-list gnome org writes:
>From: Dave Bordoley <bordoley msu edu>
>To: Ben FrantzDale <bfrantzdale hmc edu>
>Cc: nautilus-list gnome org
>Date: 19 Jun 2002 17:33:43 -0400
>
>This is actually a very good idea. My main complaint about click to
>rename is that i do it accidentally all the time in the list view. If we
>can make it work well i'm all for it, but right now it just seems bad.
>
>dave
>

>On Wed, 2002-06-19 at 17:20, Ben FrantzDale wrote:
>>
>> This thread makes me think of a more-general idea I've had before: In
>> some contexts, the mouse cursor makes clear what the click behavior is.
>> For example, the "hyperlink hand" or the "drag hand" in GGV, or the
>> "text beam", etc. It seems like that idea could be used much more. For
>> example, when clicking in Nautilus would rename a file, the mouse should
>> have the "text beam" icon. (Buttons would have the "hyperlink hand",
>> etc.)
>>
>> --Ben

I like the idea as well, but we must be sure that this is in addition to the
rename on the context menu, because otherwise those people who don't know what
the cursor stands for will be in all sorts of difficulty!  To be honest, until
you know what an icon or button does it rarely makes absolute sense to
everyone.  Why do all the browsers implement the text and icon view to start
with ....  I'm sure you see my point.

Mark Pawson

BSC Computing (Sheffield Hallam University)