Re: PATCH for some random stuff.

On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 10:42, Darin Adler wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 26, 2002, at 07:04  AM, Dave Bordoley wrote:
>
> > 1.automatic layout ala windows(apparently is hard to do with icon
> > stretching)
>
> How is the current automatic layout different from the what's in
> Windows?

Windows automatic layout lets you drag and drop icons in the view, but
they are always kept in a tight grid layout.

So you do arrange by name to get this layout
A B C D

E F G H

drag D to the bottom of the screen it switches the order to

A B C E

F G H D

drag B in between G and H you get this order

A C E F

G B H D

It's sort of like a mix between manual layout with snap to a tight grid
all the time i guess. Dave camp and I were talking about it last nite on
IRC. Apprarently the implementation in nautilus isn't that hard except
when stretched icon come into play. He could explain the issues better
though.

Sort of related one of the biggest problems with the nautilus icon view
is that icons are not always kept in a grid layout (in arrange mode, or
after clean up by name) This is bad visually. Check out bug 82293. I
think the obvious solution to this is to just elipsize icon labels.

While I'm at it spewing out ideas. Another nice thing the mac does, is
that icons zoomed to around 50% or 25% place the label on the right.
This looks really nice. We should consider this as well.(sort of like
like the simple list view in windows that some user like too).

dave