Re: first item selected in right-click menus

On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 07:29, Darin Adler wrote:

> >> Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> said:
> >>
> >> My guess is that eazel changed this since this is how windows does
> >> popup context menus. FWIW, I agree with marco and we should follow
> >> the gtk standard for this. If the gtk way of doing this is broken gtk
> >> needs to be fixed imho. (not saying gtk is broken in this respect, I
> >> don't really have an opinion other than consistency is good.)
>
> It seems fine to make this match the rest of gtk, but I can explain the
> reason we changed this in the Eazel days. It wasn't a desire to imitate
> Windows, although Macintosh and Windows both make this same design
> choice.
>
> The reason to not have an item highlighted when you first click is that
> if someone right clicks without realizing that's going to bring up a
> menu, you don't want that to quickly bring up and dismiss an unexpected
> menu and execute the first command in that menu. If the first command
> in every right-click menu is carefully examined to be sure that it's
> something harmless, then perhaps it's not a problem, but I think that's
> impractical.
>
> I do think gtk needs to be fixed.

I don't want to advocate over-configurability, but this seems like a
place where (a) consistancy throught a user's environment is important
and (b) for advanced users, having the first item selected is very nice.
For example, "New Window" in gnome terminal, "back" in galeon, etc.

--Ben