Re: SV: [Nautilus-list] Desktop folder

Can I just go on the record saying i categorically hate the idea of
making the home directory the desktop directory default. Especially for
multi-user environments where the home directory is the only directory
users have access to save to, this would be extremely annoying. I like
having a clean desktop with minimal icons. However when i'm surfing the
web and download something, it's nice to be able to save to the desktop
so i can keep track of it and then move or whatever the file/program i
downloaded.

keeping the desktop directory hidden is a problem. Yes savvy users will
know that in that in gtk fileselector you can show hidden files by
typing . but hopefully gnome will be used by non-savvy, computer
illiterate users who just want an easy to used desktop. If these users
are ex-windows users( aka me 7 months ago) in particular, they are going
to want to be able to easily save to the desktop.

dave

ps. if im not mistaken from my initial newbie days, kde doesn't hide the
desktop dir.