Re: SV: [Nautilus-list] Desktop folder

On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 09:07, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> > I dunno. I need to ask Ettore. Personally I wish to do a
> > s/evolution/.evolution/g as soon as possible, since there really is no
> > reason I can think of why it is a non-hidden dir. It's not like a user
> > should be going there to poke stuff with the filemanager..
>
> You might still want to do simple things like copying the directory over
> to another machine.

You make a good point.

On the other hand, users might want to save their bookmarks, but even so
.mozilla is a hidden file.

My guess is that most users won't need to copy mail as often as they
will need to do general file management.  And as much as I don't like
hidden files, I think tigert has basically established that the
home=desktop approach would simplify things.  IMO, this is reason enough
for us to work on making home=desktop the default (even if we decide
that this should be done at a later date).

> If you make it hidden and you also make the desktop the only way to
> browse the home directory, then there is no way for an end user to back
> up his Evolution data and move it around.

This is not strictly true (though you are right that this will be a pain
in the butt until nautilus has an easier way to change the "show hidden
files preference").

Also, if we wanted to avoid hidden files we could always create a
Documents/Software or Documents/Settings directory.