[Nautilus-list] Desktop --more --more --more

Well, there will be no end to this thead...

2 or 3 remarks :

- the desktop feature is a matter of the "desktop manager" (here nautilus), so the way it is handled has to be hidden to other apps ==> we need a hidden dekstop directory. I really hate to have KDE's "Desktop" directory in my home. But if KDE's guys decide, together with nautilus hackers, that my HOME has to be the desktop for KDE and for nautilus, I would have some ugly unusable .desktop links on my desktop. AWAY ! And it will be worse when GWorkspace will be a usable GNUStep desktop manager. We are talking about free software ;-)

- with HOME as a desktop directory, there are some nautilus links directly available (Trash, Start-here...) from other file managers. First : an unexperienced user could delete them by accident, if he doesn't know what is their use. And more : other file managers don't have (free software again...) to know how to manage these nautilus links. So these links are some visible crap in the home.

- the desktop isn't a directory, it's a place for work. See the macos : each removable (and each partition) media has a hidden "Desktop Folder" (that's his name). All these directories are displayed at once on the desktop (some kind of vfolder ?). This way, you can put some file "on the desktop", without any real move of the file itself on the disk, or from a disk to another. The desktop is just a place where you can get files directly visible and clickable on your screen.

Bertrand Dekoninck