[Nautilus-list] Re: details of the Apple CD Burning user interface

On Wednesday, March 27, 2002, at 05:38 AM, Calum Benson wrote:

Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
        * Once you are done, you want to eject it. So the normal way,
          you drag it to the trashcan which, on macosX normally turns
          into an Eject symbol if you drag a CD-Rom there. In this case
          though, it changes to a "BURN CD!" icon.

Hmm... so as well as bizarrely meaning "eject disk", the trashcan now
means "burn cd" as well?  And you worked this out without reading the
user guide?  You need professional help :o)

You misunderstand the feature. And it's understandable if you haven't tried it.

When you put in a blank CD-R, it shows up on the desktop. Then you can add things to it. When you're ready, you can choose the Burn CD menu item.

But if eject the CD without burning it first, it asks you if you want to burn the CD. It's kind of like asking whether you want to save a document when you close a window. It's not that the "close window" command has a second meaning of "save file". It's just that you are asked if you want to save when you close. Similarly, you are asked if you want to burn when you eject.

I'm not sure that having the icon say "Burn CD" when you drag to the trash helps. You are ejecting the CD, and the burning is a side issue. Having the icon say "Burn CD" does seem to blur things a bit. But aside from this detail, the feature is natural and cleanly integrated.

The first time I personally ran into this (on Mac OS 9, not Mac OS X) was last June when someone told me to put some stuff on a CD-R without explaining the feature. I was able to do it without any instructions. It felt great, like a similar experience I had back in 1984. I had a blank floppy in 1984 and I wanted to copy some files from a Macintosh and I was worried that I didn't know how to format it. I inserted it, planning to search for the "format program", and a dialog appeared, saying, "This disk is uninitialized. Do you want to format it?" That's when I decided I was wasting time with other kinds of computers.

    -- Darin