Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: gnorpm?

Hi Michele,

On Wed, 2002-03-27 at 09:10, Michele Campeotto wrote:
>   I Nautilus ever going to have that (awesome!) (g)mc's feature where
> you can navigate an RPM (or whatever archive you choose) just like a
> file system? I thought gnome-vfs would have handled this...

	gnome-vfs has traditionally been absolutely terrible with compound
in-file systems, currently it doesn't seem to handle pkzip / tar.gz at
all. (well?)

	Embarrassing I think, especially since Windows XP handles pkzip files,
seemingly as quickly as it does it's own native file system [ discovered
that the other day ].

	The solution for gnome-vfs goes like this I think:

	a) provide some sensible (prolly internal to start with) CORBA
	   interfaces for the level of file detail gnome-vfs exposes
	   [ based on the bonobo-stream/storage ones perhaps ]

	b) for compound files farm the processing off to a single out of
	   proc VFS process that can arbitrate multiple access / locking
	   multiple writes, handle a single in-memory cache, and deal
	   with the misc. evil issues that arise trying to poke inside
	   large archives on non-seekable media etc. etc. ;-)

	So - if anyone wants to do this / thinks they have a better plan,
please let me know.

	Regards,

		Michael.