Re: kde sees gz files into konqueror, nautilus does not

Hi,

On Friday 15 November 2002 9:05 pm, Alex Graveley wrote:
|  Hi,
|
|  On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 08:40, Adagilson B B da Silva wrote:
|  > sorry, for my ignorance, but could I see gz files in Nautilus (with some
|  > viewer) as does Konqueror (through Arc, it seems). When browsing with
|  > Konqueror I just click (and it's just "one" click) over the .gz icon and
|  > it shows me the content of the file as a dir like it's inside the zipped
|  > file, could I do the same with Nautilus. Nautilus has my preference :)
|  > thansk
|
|  I've always considered viewing of archives inside of a file-manager to
|  be pure crack.

I think you completly misunderstand concept of Konqueror and KParts.
All viewers for Konqueror are independent plugins (KParts), so there is no
overload for menus or Konq's codebase itself.
But due to the fact that User Interface is consistant, and API is shared among
those plugins, developers can develop such plugins pretty fast (I think
KDevelop has template for KPart), and browsing experience is "transparent" to
Konqueror's users.
For example, I have Web Archiever plugin installed (which is not part of
kdebase), and I can save web page in archieved format using toolbar icon.
Besides, I can "browse into" this archives, and view saved pages.
All this comes without any bloatness to the code of Konq itself.

Also: IMAP and POP3 folders can be browsed from Konqueror, as well as other
components. So, experienced users can read mail without installing MUA. :-)

--
Best Regards,

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons