Problems with icon-themes with cvs HEAD nautilus

I wonder if anybody could give me any suggestions for troubleshooting this...

I have built gnome from cvs HEAD (parallel to stock RH8.0 gnome 2). Unfortunately the icons are completely borked on the desktop and under nautilus. If I use the default gnome icon theme every file (including folders) has the 'blank dog-eared piece of paper' icon. If I use the bluecurve icon theme then .tar.gz and core files get a reasonable icon.

I've already installed gnome-icon-themes.

Also it's picking up the icon theme directories from /usr/share/icons instead of {PARALLEL_BUILD_PREFIX}/share/icons, which isn't what I expected.

Anybody have any quick ideas for troubleshooting? I'm assuming its something to do with my setup, there is no mention of a current bug like this in bugzilla and I've tried updating my nautilus cvs a couple of times over the last couple of weeks. I just don't want to spend hours looking for the problem if possible.

Ta muchly in advance.
Darryl Rees.