Re: Non-working preferences

> What the hell are you talking about? It's a sidebar tree, and it is most
> definately there. Most likely your install is borked or something,
> upgrade.

I'll look at that - i'd heard that it was being re-written so i wasnt
too surprised when i didn't see it there. Will ask other garnome-0.19
users if they are having trouble

> Well if you ask me I don't think there should be a sidebar tree, it
> should just be another folder view, but i digress.

hmm, yesss, not sure about hat ;)

> Given the current
> design, i agree including files in the sidebar tree is pretty broken but
> this has been argued to death and to be honest i don't really care.

all the same it would be nice to fix it - i can send a patch to the list
that will do most if not all of what really NEEDS to be done.

> > The setting needs to be:
> > 1. Changed to "Show files in the tree view"
> > 2. Removed from the ui. $HOME as desktop is gone and that is a far more
> > poplular preference IMHO.
>
> This pref was not removed from nautilus, it's hidden in gconf.

yeah, that's what I ment by removed from the UI

> Furthermore just because it is popular doesn't mean it should be in the
> ui. While I agree that $home should be the desktop, exposing this in the
> ui is horribly broken. We need one desktop directory and it should just
> work. Having a unbreak my desktop directory so I can do meaningful work
> preferences is bad.

sorry that was a bad comparrison to make. I agree that '$home as
desktop' should be in the UI. I think that it should be enabled by
default and the preference nuked.

I was just trying to make a comparrison to show how obscure an option
"showing files in the tree view" is and how it should also be removed
from the ui(as well as have what it does reversed from current
behavior).

--
		 .--= [ MArk Finlay - sisob ] =--.

	   [ My Weblog: http://advogato.org/person/sisob ]