Re: Use of Eel library

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Dave Malcolm wrote:

> In the README for eel-2.0.0 it says:
>
> <quote>
> If you wish to use Eel for a project, have patches, suggestions and/or
> you wish to discuss whether some of the extensions belong in the
> library they extend, please send mail to the Nautilus mailing list:
>
>         nautilus-list lists eazel com
> </quote>
>
> So I thought I'd better email this list to say that I'm using Eel in a
> project called Conglomerate (see www.conglomerate.org; it's a GPLed XML
> editor for GNOME).

Cool! It's nice that someone picks up conglomerate again.

> Currently I only use a few pieces of eel-gdk-extensions.h

Which pieces? (I'm interested because we want to move usable pieces of eel
to lower levels of the platform.)

> I hope this is OK (and that the API is likely to stay relatively stable).

It is OK, but you have to realize that the API, while not in practice very
unstable, is not formally stable. We do API changes in Eel as needed for
the development of nautilus, and the Eel releases are done in step with
Nautilus.

If you only use small parts of eel cut-and-paste is also a good way to
give your users less dependency headaches.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a maverick chivalrous cat burglar on the hunt for the last specimen of a
great and near-mythical creature. She's a ditzy hip-hop vampire with an
incredible destiny. They fight crime!