Re: What the hell is wrong with Nautilus

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 10:46, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> I will tell you the very simple reason. Read this very very very
> carefully, over and over until you've understood it:
>
> Nautilus doesn't have all the features you want because very few people
> are hacking on it. Basically, about two people actively hack on it (not
> full time, some paid time, mostly spare time). (there are also some people
> helping out with bugzilla)
>
> Writing long lists of wanted features does not help. I'm sorry.

I also proposed some low maintenance solutions to part of the issues I
mentioned.

Including in the Nautilus package some of the best nautilus scripts that
emulate many of the uncoded features listed would help a great deal in
not only added functionality but showcasing one of the file manager's
best features.  Especially when the feature of mime filtering for
scripts is completed.

For example, including one of the many print scripts, or a search-here
script that launched the gnome-search-tool would be a decent stop gap
till full search ability can be added etc...etc...

A File-Roller view could eliminate one of the biggest complaints over
the inability to view archive files directly through Nautilus.

> And I must say that the subject did not help. Reading a mail when you
> initially think the author is an idiot doesn't make your think more
> carefully about the contents, quite the opposite.

I apologize I usually hate emoticons but maybe this time it might have
actually been useful.

The vast majority of apps I use on my linux box both at home and at work
are gtk/gnome based apps. Therefore, I use and care about the Gnome
desktop environment.  I am not someone who runs linux servers but
refuses to live day by day on a linux box.  99.9% of all time on a
computer is on linux and by default.  Look at the posts I have made so
far.  If I did not care about Nautilus, I would not have bothered
posting such a message and I understand that the subject line was a bad
choice simply because the majority posts back have focused on it and not
some of the comments I made.

--
Johnathan Bailes	BAE Systems ESI

 "UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because
 that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn
---