Re: What the hell is wrong with Nautilus

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Johnathan Bailes wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 10:46, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > I will tell you the very simple reason. Read this very very very
> > carefully, over and over until you've understood it:
> >
> > Nautilus doesn't have all the features you want because very few people
> > are hacking on it. Basically, about two people actively hack on it (not
> > full time, some paid time, mostly spare time). (there are also some people
> > helping out with bugzilla)
> >
> > Writing long lists of wanted features does not help. I'm sorry.
>
> I also proposed some low maintenance solutions to part of the issues I
> mentioned.
>
> Including in the Nautilus package some of the best nautilus scripts that
> emulate many of the uncoded features listed would help a great deal in
> not only added functionality but showcasing one of the file manager's
> best features.  Especially when the feature of mime filtering for
> scripts is completed.

mime filtered scripts is the wrong solution to the core problem, which is
that the gnome mime handling totally sucks ass. Implementing mime
filtering will just give us duplicate functionallity when we eventually
fix it. And until then the maintainance and implementation of it will take
time from the real fix, and the existance of the bad fix lessens the
chances that the real fix will be done.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a Nobel prize-winning overambitious jungle king on the hunt for the last
specimen of a great and near-mythical creature. She's a psychotic bisexual
lawyer with an evil twin sister. They fight crime!