Re: [patch] remove grody code, add spiffy new code for initial desktop population

On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 00:52, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> > Will it automatically add new icons to an existing desktop?
> >

> This is sort of a policy decision that depends on what the scripts
> contain. You could write scripts that did this, or some that didn't.

Ok, I think that makes sense.  So in my Debian "desktop-base" package, I
would just drop a script in ${sysconfdir}/desktop-directory/populate.d,
which would copy the .desktop files from /usr/share/desktop-base into
~/Desktop.

> Yep. Though it's sort of a "soft" dependency in some sense.  (It
> really just depends on a binary called "desktop-directory-update"
> existing.)

Right.  Ok.

So the main thing now is getting the KDE people to agree to use it?

(By the way, I am going to package desktop-directory-utils for Debian).