Re: Nautilus and tar.gz/tar.bz2

On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 16:48, Dave Bordoley wrote:
> Hi John:
>
> On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 16:10, Johnathan Bailes wrote:
> > I am going to edit the often mentioned request for browsing into an
> > archive.
> >
> > Has anyone thought of chunking the whole VFS method and instead creating
> > a File-Roller view since File-Roller hooks into Nautilus so well?
> >

> It's not my decision, but imho using file roller is the wrong solution.
> To make archive handling in nautilus really useful users should be able
> to treat archives like special folders. Users should be able to perform
> any action they can on a regular folder upon an archive file. This would
> include drag and dropping of files into the archive icon like you can
> with folders, viewing archives as lists/icons etc, creating new archives
> from the context menu (a new documents menu would be really cool).
>
> A file-roller view may be a good short term fix, but the real goal
> should be imho seemless integration of archives into the file manager.
>
> dave
I am also in favor of native intergration of archives into the file
manager.  Archives are things that a file manager should handle
directly, as one can treat archives formats as various types of
filesystems.  Viewing or Editing of files contents are in my opinion
tasks that a file manager should not handle directly itself.  The file
manager should simply delagates the aforementioned tasks to third party
applications that are design solely to handle these tasks.

> --

 "There has grown in the minds of certain groups in this country the
idea that just because
a man or corporation has made a profit out of the public for a number of
years, the
government and the courts are charged with guaranteeing such profit in
the future, even in
the face of changing circumstances and contrary to public interest. This
strange doctrine
is supported by neither statue or common law. Neither corporations or
individuals have the
right to come into court and ask that the clock of history be stopped,
or turned back."

-Robert Heinlein, Life Line, 1939