Re: Medusa branch in Nautilus

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 02:29, Aschwin van der Woude wrote:
> Great plans!
> Although an integration of search ala Evolution would be great too.

Yeah it wont be completed soon without help.  A vfs-module is called for
as well as a door into evo, but it can be done.

> I have always wondered if medusa could replace the 'locate' tool .As I
> understand it they do the same thing, although medusa is way more
> powerful.
> Are my thoughts correct, could medusa have a locate-frontend as well?
> This would be great, the system wouldn't need to index my filesystem
> multiple times.

It already has msearch, a command line utility that beats the snot out
of find, grep, and locate.  But Medusa is a user app now, not a system
app.  One thought is to have build an index as nobody, and Medusa will
search the user and the systems db and present the results.

> When reading your plans with Medusa I realised Gnome is once again
> moving faster than some other parts of the system, adding features that
> would actually belong in the file-system. But since there is no defacto
> standard amount of features for Linux-filesystems other than standard
> posix, it is great to see Gnome add those features to its applications
> any way. I am talking about emblems, meta-data and now a proper indexer.

I agree that the filesystem should do most of the work.  MS's Longhorn
will do what Medusa is doing because they control the filesystem.  We
don't have such an option in a heterogeneous world of *nix.  Medusa
should take advantage of smart filesystems when it can.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.