Re: burn:/// problems

On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 08:52, Patrick wrote:
> I have a couple of problems with burn:///.
>
> (1) If I have burn:/// open in one window and move up from /home/patrick
> to /home, the /home directory continually spins and never finds
> anything. As soon as I close burn:/// the contents of /home are shown.

I've seen this reported before, but haven't figured out the bug yet.

> (2) I tried copying my home directory to burn:/// because I wanted to
> backup my files in an easily accessible fashion. It started linking
> every file, crippling my system enough that the screen stopped
> refreshing and I couldn't get a keyboard or mouse movement to stop the
> screensaver from kicking in (its set for 10 minutes right now). Also, I
> started closing evolution right before beginning the copy and it was
> still closing when the copy eventually failed.

Hmm. This is sort of strange. How many files was this?

> (3) When the copy failed it brought up a most useless dialog "An unknown
> error occured...blah..." [Retry?] [Cancel] [Abort]
>
> (4) I cancelled, and the burn:/// window now just says "too many files -
> can't display".

The "too many files" dialog has been disabled in recent nautilus
versions. What version did you use?

> (5) Where is burn:///, so I can open a terminal and delete all of the
> links it made to all of my files?

It is a virtual directory. Normally files put there are not actually
stored in the filesystem. Sometimes they do have to be though (if you're
copying from somewhere other than file: for instance), and then they get
put in "/tmp/virtual-$user.<random>".

> (6) Why would I ever want to type in burn:/// to burn a CD? (I feel its
> a bug worth mentioning but lets save this one for another thread.)

You don't have to. Either you use the "Go -> cd creator" menu items, or
you use magicdev and just put in a blank cd.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an underprivileged albino rock star living undercover at Ringling Bros.
Circus. She's a pregnant French-Canadian Valkyrie descended from a line of
powerful witches. They fight crime!