Re: burn:/// problems

On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 01:39, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 08:52, Patrick wrote:
> > I have a couple of problems with burn:///.
> >
> > (1) If I have burn:/// open in one window and move up from /home/patrick
> > to /home, the /home directory continually spins and never finds
> > anything. As soon as I close burn:/// the contents of /home are shown.
>
> I've seen this reported before, but haven't figured out the bug yet.
>
> > (2) I tried copying my home directory to burn:/// because I wanted to
> > backup my files in an easily accessible fashion. It started linking
> > every file, crippling my system enough that the screen stopped
> > refreshing and I couldn't get a keyboard or mouse movement to stop the
> > screensaver from kicking in (its set for 10 minutes right now). Also, I
> > started closing evolution right before beginning the copy and it was
> > still closing when the copy eventually failed.
>
> Hmm. This is sort of strange. How many files was this?

Well, I'm listing 4080 right now but I think I did it before I deleted
all of my CVS directories and I vaguely recall it being over 12000 or
maybe 20000.

> > (3) When the copy failed it brought up a most useless dialog "An unknown
> > error occured...blah..." [Retry?] [Cancel] [Abort]
> >
> > (4) I cancelled, and the burn:/// window now just says "too many files -
> > can't display".
>
> The "too many files" dialog has been disabled in recent nautilus
> versions. What version did you use?

RedHat 9, Nautilus 2.2.1

> > (5) Where is burn:///, so I can open a terminal and delete all of the
> > links it made to all of my files?
>
> It is a virtual directory. Normally files put there are not actually
> stored in the filesystem. Sometimes they do have to be though (if you're
> copying from somewhere other than file: for instance), and then they get
> put in "/tmp/virtual-$user.<random>".

Ok. My computer locked up last night (which is very unusual) and upon
restarting this morning the virtual directory is now empty and burn:///
works again.

Thanks.

--
Patrick <pabos glypsube org>