Re: Copy-pasting between to different windows...

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 14:13, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 06:27, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 12:32, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> > > I hope I'm not bugging y'all with "problems" that only relate to the old
> > > version of nautilus (2.2.1) - but here goes.
> > >
> > > Copy-pasting doesn't work between two different windows. It does work in
> > > the same window though. Is this intentional? It would be very desirable
> > > to have this option if you ask me...
> >
> > This is due to a core problem in the design of X11. There is no way to
> > get an event when the owner of a selection changes. The fix for this is
> > in the Xfixes extension. This extension was added in 4.3.0, but was
> > backed out at the last minute. Hopefully in the future it will be in
> > again...
> >
> > The workaround is to select a file in the other window. That should give
> > you the paste menu entry.
>
> Assuming that the different windows are from the same nautilus process,
> this should be trivial to fix... just track of whether *you* have the
> selection and always keep the Paste menu sensitive when you do.

I guess we could handle changes that happen in the nautilus process...

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a superhumanly strong misogynist cat burglar looking for 'the Big One.'
She's a violent gold-digging politician who hides her beauty behind a pair of
thick-framed spectacles. They fight crime!