RE: Column View

murray has an important point: no one person can judge
an interface by itself. some people swear by the
windows menu system where menus are attached to
windows, and some people swear by the mac menu system
where the menus are at the top of the screen.  and
while one system may be faster for one individual,
it's perfectly possible for one system to be better
for another.  what is important is diversity.  in some
instances, it's better to use an icon view because i'd
like thumbnails of my futurama episodes, but it's
impractical to view these files in a list effectively.
 likewise there certainly are times where the treeview
is a more efficient system.  the best example is: long
file names. as you can tell from my pictures, the
column view handles long file names quite poorly in
comparison to the treeview.

you point out a bad thing about the column view: it
has a larger learning curve, and i too was confused
about it at first.  it was only after i kept using it
that i realized it's benefits.

the important thing is that we take all of our ideas
and group them together, because no one individual is
right on this matter.

i believe i've made my decision, and i'm going to
implement a ColumnView widget as one of the replies
suggested.  once i feel it's reached enough maturity,
i'll post the patches and we can all comment on what
could be done different/better/etc.