RE: shift=and-close-the-current-folder?

> > Predicting the future is difficult. I can only say that
> > keyboard-navigation of the file manager is very popular where it
> > exists - on the MacOS.
>
> Very true, which is all the more interesting given how lax
> MacOS has historically been at providing keyboard navigation
> (until OSX, at least).

I don't know what it's like for accessibility needs, but I always found Mac
keyboard navigation wonderful, though it was mostly just direct accelerators
and keys for dialog buttons. I hardly ever used the mouse.

>  Which begs an equally important
> question of whether it's popular because people want to use
> it, or because they have to due to a lack of mouse equivalents.

No, the mouse equivalents are there. The same keyboard modifier used with a
mouse click can be used to open-and-close-the-parent. There's also some way
to close parent folders, but my memory is failing me. Also, there's the
spring-loaded folders thing. But people use the keyboard navigation because
it's _fast_.

> > People can use a terminal, but then they aren't using GNOME or
> > Nautilus anymore.
>
> They may not be using nautilus, but as long as we choose to
> ship gnome-terminal as part of our core desktop, they're
> certainly still using GNOME.

I look forward to a day when we can remove the terminal from GNOME and let
other people worry about that.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net