Re: Template system

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 09:09:31PM +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> Ah, these are the problems i talked about in the initial mail that we
> don't get, because apps aren't meant to install shit in the template
> directory. So you'll never get crap "create XML-foobar document"
> entries in there that nobody will use. Instead you get to personally
> pick exactly the templates you use.

Okay. I didn't realise that it was to be used for only personally picked
templates.

> Loose? The file will be on the desktop, so it won't appear in the
> templates menu. This is conceptually extremely simple, there is no magic
> about the template folder. Its just a folder. This is what makes this
> solution so nice (and actually usable for many people).

I meant lose. What I was getting at is if the user associates creating a
new file and with the files in the template folder they may be tempted
to just drag it out the template folder assuming that it would just
create a copy for them and then be surprised when it isn't in the list
anymore.

> What are you talking about? Third party apps installing there?
> Nothing should install anything there. Its a user directory. However, we
> want to have an easy way for e.g. file-selectors to find the template
> directory so that its easy to save templates from apps.

Again I thought it would still be used by third party apps.

> That depends on you interpretation of clean and of easy access to
> creating new file types. But yeah, if you want to use the template
> functionallity of nautilus you'll have a Template directory in your
> homedir (it'll show up translated in the ui though).

I guess with .hidden it doesn't really matter anymore.

John