Re: File Notes

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 03:56, W. Michael Petullo wrote:
> I think that nautilus' notes feature is kind of neat (I mean the "Notes"
> tab that is available in a file's properties).  However, it is also a
> little dangerous.  With 2.4.0, it seems that moving or renaming a file
> can cause it to be disassociated from its notes.

That sounds like a bug. If you move the file with nautilus the metadata
is supposed to be moved with it. Renaming seems to work for me though.

> Do the maintainers of nautilus plan on improving this feature?  Is there
> any interest in making it a little more general-purpose (perhaps develop
> a standard that other file managers or applications could honor --
> freedesktop.org comes to mind)?  I've seen some interesting techniques
> for associating meta-data with files from the reiserfs folks, but their
> mainstream acceptance is probably far off.

There is no immedate plans for metadata, but the long term plan is to
make the metadata information availible to other apps. However, the
metadata that some filesystems support (extended attributes) doesn't
seem useful for this (the kernel guys tell me this every time I talk to
them about it).

> I could make some specific entries in GNOME's bugzilla database but I
> wanted to get a feel for how important these things were.

The not working part is bad.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an all-American arachnophobic vampire hunter on the wrong side of the
law. She's a man-hating mutant Hell's Angel who hides her beauty behind a pair
of thick-framed spectacles. They fight crime!