Re: nautilus and galeon

Hi,

On Fri, 2003-12-26 at 23:50, Chris Conn wrote:
> Right now I can bring up nautilus and type a URL in
> the location and it will bring up text to view. If
> I tell nautilus to 'view as...' galeon it will display
> the web page instead, and when I come back to that
> bookmarked page or open URLs from that page it will
> display them as web pages.
> Is this the nautilus view I've read about? I've seen
> just enough about this on the web to confuse me :-).
> I don't think I have oaf running, is there more to
> this or is this basically it?

Yes, it's a good show-off from the "View" concept of Nautilus. It's done
using something called Bonobo, and it is basically able to embed almost
anything Bonoboized somewhere in a nautilus window; and it usually is
able to control some of the behavior of embedded "object".

BTW, while brainstorming about this; it would be good to start a
discussion about:

      * Something like an "active desktop", where Nautilus could allow
        some bonobo controls to be added on the desktop window; be it a
        Web browser view, icon view and so on.
      * I'm not really sure about current state of it but, what about a
        view's ability to modify the behavior and look of the side pane
        and status bar?

I know the first may look very irritating from the view of HIG; but the
second would be great where the Icon view could add a media-player-like
[Play][Pause][Stop] toolbar for MP3 icons and alike for video stuff, or
a greater thumbnail for images on the side pane.

Just my $0.02 8)
--
Enver ALTIN (a.k.a. skyblue)	- Software developer, generic solvent
http://skyblue.gen.tr/		- mailto: ealtin at casdb dot com

It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be wrong.
		-- Chris Torek