Filetype detection

Hello there!

Few days ago there was a thread about the file-type detection. Fabio mentioned that sniffing was much slower, but everyone agreed that content-sniffing was far more reliable. I think the difference lies in the concept; Suffixes were ment to be file-type metadata, whereas content-sniffing is actually file-type detection.

But since extendet attributes finaly made it into the kernel, why not use them to store filetype-information, once detected?

Of cource, this would only affect extendet-attributes aware file systems, but I guess it'd be worth the try. It would compensate the lacks of file-type sniffing and would be less affected by user errors than suffixes (Everyone can rename a file). I don't know about the other OSes, but at least Irix has support for extendet attributes.

Gnome-vfs would need new api. That's the problem. But applications using gnome-vfs could even create the filetype attribute by themself.

Just some silly thoughts after hours of boid-coding.

Happy new year from switzerland!

Raphael