Problem when showing directory with too many files/sub directories.

Hi,
When I open a directory with more than 5000 sub directories and files,
nautilus tells me that she cannot handle those so many files and some
files cannot be shown. I don't know why nautilus has this restrict? Is
it for speed?
I have a suggestion for improve the speed. Is it possible to show
thumbnails or file counts for the files/directories which are only
visible on screen? When user scroll down the window, more
files/directories will be inquired.

Regards
James Su