Re: How useful is manual layout in the icon view?

Very useful. I use it all of the time on my Mac. It's a great way to
organize medium-sized folders without dividing everything up into separate
sub-folders. It's also useful if you want to organize your files by concept
rather than by name, date, etc.

Throwing away manual layout because the "Would you like to switch to manual
layout?" dialog is annoying doesn't make any sense. Just get rid of the
dialog. I'd be perfectly happy if Nautilus assumed that I didn't want to
switch to manual layout as long as there was a per-folder preference
somewhere to enable it later. Mac OSX puts that preference in a folder's Get
Info window.

Andrew