Re: How useful is manual layout in the icon view?

On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 22:41, MArk Finlay wrote:
> Manual layout is obviously vital on the desktop, but is it really
> necessary in the file manager? Does anyone really manually lay out
> their icons in a file manager window?

Well, following the same idea we should remove the ability to resize
single icons :-)

Personally sometime I use it, not in all folders, as well as I don't
resize all icons.

> The reason I ask is because we have had discussion about removing the
> "Would you like to switch to manual layout" dialog that most of us
> see almost every day. A lot of people have expressed a desire to
> remove this dialog, but that doesn't mean that they want nautilus
> to automatically switch to manual layout, more that they don't
> want to see that dialog when they change their mind about a dnd
> operation.

This is absolutely right. This dialog is really annoying.

> So I would propose that we remove manual layout mode in the file
> manager all together, unless anyone has any compelling reasons to
> keep it.

Well, not the best solution IMHO.

Probably we can remove the "automatically switch to manual".

So no more annoying dialog, but you can before explicitly choose manual
layout, then after you can move icons.

--
Think bigger

			My uncle