Re: View vs. viewer

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 02:55, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On 12 Jan 2003, Christian Neumair wrote:
>
> > Hi there!
> > I'm a translator and a bit confused:
> > I discovered the string
> > "Hardware Viewer"
> > (components/hardware/Nautilus_View_hardware.server.in.in.h:3)
> > as well as
> > "Hardware view"
> > (components/hardware/Nautilus_View_hardware.server.in.in.h:3).
> > Same for
> > "Text Viewer" and "Text view"
> > (components/text/Nautilus_View_text.server.in.in.h:3;
> > components/text/Nautilus_View_text.server.in.in.h:4,
> > components/text/nautilus-text-view-ui.xml.h:4).
> > The German translation of view and viewer is completely different, has
> > this string not yet been unified or have they a different meaning?
> > I know we already are in a *VERY* deep freeze but I think it's important
> > to solve this before 2.2.
> > If neccessary, I'm going to write bug reports against nautilus and
> > provide patches, but please, look at it as soon as possible.
>
> "Text Viewer" is the string used in the "open with" menu and "Text View"
> is the name of the component. I don't think the name is actually used much
> in the UI, except in a theoretical bonobo component browser.
>
> So, this isn't especially important.

For what it's worth, the view/viewer distinction isn't included in the
style guide glossary, though it does refer to "view pane" as the
right-hand bit in Nautilus:
http://developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/gnome-glossary-desktop.html
Cheers,
John
--
John Fleck
http://www.inkstain.net http://www.abqjournal.com

"Sometimes, a diner is all about the mac and cheese."
  - Zippy the Pinhead