Re: View vs. viewer

These terms are in the User Guide glossary
(http://www.gnome.org/learn/users-guide/2.0/glossary-1.html):

view
A Nautilus component that enables you to display a folder in a
particular way. For example, Nautilus contains an icon view which
enables you to display the contents of a folder as icons. Nautilus also
contains a list view which enables you to display the contents of a
folder as a list.

viewer component
A Nautilus component that enables you to display a particular type of
file in the view pane. A viewer component might add menu items that are
relevant to the file type to the Nautilus menus. A viewer component
might also enable you to use the Nautilus zoom buttons to change the
size of the item in the view pane.

Hope this helps.
Eugene